What Your CLEP Score Means
How CLEP Exams Are Scored
- Multiple-choice tests are scored by a computer.
- Essays written for the College Composition exam are graded by two or more college English professors. The essay grade is combined with the multiple-choice score, and the result is reported as a scaled score.
- A small number of colleges require optional essays for American Literature, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, College Composition Modular, and English Literature, which are evaluated and graded by the colleges that require them. A copy of the essay and the score report of the multiple-choice section will be sent to your designated institutions.
On CLEP exams, you receive one point for each correct answer. Points aren't deducted for wrong or skipped answers. This means that you should do your best to answer each question on a CLEP exam.
What Your Score Means
The total score on your score report is based on two calculations:
- Your “raw score” is the number of questions you answered correctly. Your raw score increases by one point for each question answered correctly.
- Your raw score is then converted to a scaled score that ranges from 20 to 80, and this is the score that appears on your score report. The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends that colleges grant credit for a score of 50 or higher, but individual institutions can set their own CLEP credit policies.
Most colleges publish the required scores for earning CLEP credit on their websites or in a course catalog. The required score for earning CLEP credit may vary from exam to exam. Contact your institution to find out the minimum qualifying score for each exam.
Getting Your Scores
You will receive an unofficial score report immediately at the test center, except if you took the College Composition exam. It takes 2–3 weeks to deliver a score report for this exam.
You can also view your scores online by logging into the CLEP My Account portal with the same account you used to register for the exam. Once logged in, go to the My CLEP Exam Scores page to view your scores.
Scores are available online one business day following your exam. College Composition exam scores are available 1–2 weeks after testing.
Important Notes About Viewing Scores Online:
- Exams taken prior to September 2013 may not appear in My Account.
- Scores for cancelled exams or exams taken more than 20 years ago won't be displayed.
- If you registered for one or more of your CLEP exams using a different account, those exams may not appear in the list. For information about those exams, please call CLEP Services at 1-800-257-9558.
- If your exam was DANTES-funded, you will be able to see your score, but you won’t be able to include it on your transcript order through My Account. To order transcripts for DANTES-funded CLEP exams, you must order a military transcript online using the Parchment Transcript Ordering Service.
Sending CLEP Transcripts to Your Colleges or Employer
All CLEP exam registrations come with a free score send, which must be used when you register. However, if you don’t select a score recipient institution during registration or you wish to send your scores to additional institutions, you can request official CLEP transcripts for exams via My Account through a secure online checkout process. These additional score reports can be ordered for a fee of $20 per score recipient.
There are three ways to request a transcript in My Account:
- Click on "Request a Transcript" in the dropdown menu under My CLEP Account.
- Click on MyAccount Overview, and you will see a link called “Request a Transcript.”
- Click on My CLEP Exam Scores, and scroll to the bottom of the page under Order Transcripts. Click on the “Transcript Request” link.
This cumulative transcript covers all the CLEP exams you've taken and the scores you earned in the last 20 years. Acceptable forms of payment for transcript orders are debit or credit card ONLY.
You will receive a confirmation email once your transcript request is received. Transcript creation and delivery takes 10–14 business days, and an institution receiving your transcript may take additional time to process your scores once it receives them.
Important Notes About CLEP Transcripts:
- If you want to send transcripts to multiple institutions, you must complete a transcript request for each institution. There's a $20 fee for each transcript ordered.
- Transcript orders are nonrefundable and cannot be canceled or changed.
- If your institution still hasn’t received your scores 15 business days from when you placed your transcript order, you can contact CLEP Services at 1-800-257-9558 to resend your scores for free. Note: A transcript resend will have the exact same information as the original transcript request. If you change information from an original transcript request, you will be charged a $20 fee.
- Be sure to verify your institution’s mailing address when entering a custom address. If you enter an incorrect address and need to resend your transcript, you will be charged an additional $20.
Only transcripts for non-DANTES funded exams may be ordered online via My Account. Test takers ordering official transcripts for DANTES-Funded exams must order online using the Parchment Transcript Ordering Service.
Obtaining Transcripts for Military Personnel
A military transcript will include all scores for DANTES-funded CLEP exams taken by service members at DANTES military test centers after July 1, 1974. To obtain a CLEP transcript, military personnel must order online using the Parchment Transcript Ordering Service and pay the required $30 fee.
Select the cancel scores option at the end of the exam if you don't want your exam to be reported.
- There's no way to cancel your scores once you've seen your instant score report.
- There's no way to retrieve your score once you've canceled it.