CLEP Military Benefits
To help military service members as well as eligible spouses and civil service employees reach their education goals, the U.S. government fully funds CLEP exams and administration fees so you can save money toward your degree.
These benefits are available to:
- Military personnel (active duty, reserve, National Guard): Army, Navy, Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard, Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Navy Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army, and Air National Guard.
- Spouses of: Coast Guard (active and reserve).
- Civilian employees of: Air Force (must test at on-base or U.S. fully funded test centers).
- Veterans: If you're a veteran, you may be eligible to receive education benefits under the Forever G.I. Bill.
Save Money Toward Your Education
CLEP exams are funded through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) so you can focus on maximizing education benefits or making education benefits go further. Savings include:
- Free examination guide: DANTES-funded candidates who register for a CLEP exam receive a free CLEP exam guide based on your chosen exam topic. (The exam guides contain the same content and sample questions that appear in the CLEP Study Guide Apps).
- Funded exam fees: Eligible first-time test takers will have their exam fee funded by DANTES.
- Administration fees waived: DANTES-funded test centers and all on-base military test centers will also waive the administration fee for DANTES-funded test takers.
Veteran Education Benefits
The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, also known as the "Forever G.I. Bill," expanded education benefits to veterans, service members, families, and survivors. Veterans can use G.I. Bill funds to cover CLEP exams and administration fees.
How do I indicate that I'm eligible for a DANTES-funded CLEP exam?
When purchasing an exam in My Account, you'll be asked if you're eligible for DANTES funding in the "Edit Personal Details" section of the ordering process. Select "Yes." You'll then need to answer questions about their military status in order to receive DANTES funding.
What do I need to bring on test day?
Bring your Geneva Convention Identification Card ID on test day. Refer to the DANTES Eligibility Chart (.pdf/473 KB) for additional information on IDs for active duty members, spouses, and civil service civilian employees.
How do I request my military transcript?
To get a transcript for DANTES-funded CLEP exams, order it online by using the Parchment Transcript Ordering Service. A military transcript includes all scores for DANTES-funded CLEP exams taken after July 1, 1974.
If you also took self-funded exams, you can order the transcript for those exams by using My Account.
What is the military retest policy?
If you want to retake an exam previously funded by DANTES, you must wait three months and self-pay the exam fee and any administrative fees required by the test center. DANTES will only provide funding once for each CLEP exam subject.
Learn more about who is eligible for DANTES-funded CLEP exams.
Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
This website offers more information about DANTES-sponsored education programs and services for military service members.
Find a Test Center and Schedule Your Test
Use this resource to find a CLEP test center near you.
Veteran Education Benefits
Learn more about education and training benefits for veterans under the Forever G.I. Bill.