CLEP exams are designed to fit with wherever you are in your educational journey. You can prepare on your own and take the exams when you schedule them. Earn college credit at your own pace.
How to Purchase and Schedule a CLEP Exam
- Explore the exams and choose the tests that cover material you already know.
- Search for your institutions' credit policy. 2,900 colleges and universities world-wide accept credit for CLEP Exams.
- Choose a CLEP exam online directly from the exam page or from the CLEP registration page, then submit your exam payment through the My Account portal. You can purchase study materials at the same time.
- The cost is $80* and requires you to create a personal account on the My Account portal. Note: make sure you use your name as it appears on your official ID. Pay with a debit or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, or JCB).
- Find a location that is convenient and contact that test center to schedule your exam. The test center may charge you an additional administration fee.
- Decide where you will send your scores.
*Exam fee will increase to $85 beginning July 1, 2017.
Learn more about your eligibility to take free CLEP exams. If you're eligible, make sure to follow the steps on the registration form.
CLEP Exam Fee Increases July 1
Effective July 1, 2017, the new CLEP exam fee will be $85 per exam. The current $80 fee will still apply to all registration tickets purchased through June 30, 2017. If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLEP exam and preparation material purchases—such as examination guides and study guides—are refundable.
- For CLEP exam purchases: exams are refundable for up to seven days from the date of purchase, with the exception of redeemed tests.
- For CLEP study guides: study guides that are in new, unused, and in resalable condition are refundable within 30-days of the order date with a copy of the packing slip.
- For CLEP e-guides: e-guides are refundable within seven days of the purchase date. The customer will be required to submit a letter of destruction to process the refund of a CLEP e-guide.
Please make sure that you have thoroughly researched your exam and preparation material selections prior to paying for them.
Test Taker Name Change Requests
For name changes, complete, sign, and fax the name change request form (.pdf/356KB) along with any identification documentation (if required) to the College Board’s CLEP Services at 610‐628‐3726, or email it as an attachment to email@example.com.
Will My Registration Ticket Expire?
- CLEP exam registration tickets expire six months from the date of purchase. The expiration date for your exam registration ticket can be found in My Account as well as on the CLEP exam registration ticket. Be certain to schedule your appointment at your preferred test center at least six months in advance of your test date.
- Military funded test takers: a CLEP exam registration ticket will be automatically canceled six months from the date of purchase to prevent DANTES-funded test takers from losing their funding. There is no penalty for canceling a registration ticket. However, if your ticket is canceled, you will need to register for your exam again. Learn more about your eligibility to take free CLEP exams.
Test Accommodations Requests
Contact your preferred test center well in advance of the test date to make the necessary arrangements and ask what the test center's deadline is for submitting documentation for approval of accommodations.
Accommodations that can be arranged directly with test centers include:
- ZoomText (screen magnification)
- Modifiable screen colors
- Use of a reader, an amanuensis, or a sign language interpreter
- Extended time
- Untimed rest breaks
If the above accommodations do not meet your needs, do not register online for your exam. Contact CLEP Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about other accommodations.