Introductory Business Law
Description of the Examination
The Introductory Business Law examination covers material that is usually taught in an introductory one-semester college course in the subject. The examination places not only major emphasis on understanding the functions of contracts in American business law, but it also includes questions on the history and sources of American law, legal systems and procedures, agency and employment, sales, and other topics.
The examination contains approximately 100 questions to be answered in 90 minutes. Some of these are pretest questions that will not be scored. Any time candidates spend on tutorials or providing personal information is in addition to the actual testing time.
Knowledge and Skills Required
Questions on the test require candidates to demonstrate one or more of the following abilities in the approximate proportions indicated.
- Knowledge of the basic facts and terms (about 30-35 percent of the examination)
- Understanding of concepts and principles (about 30-35 percent of the examination)
- Ability to apply knowledge to specific case problems (about 30 percent of the examination)
The subject matter of the Introductory Business Law examination is drawn from the following topics. The percentages next to the main topics indicate the approximate percentages of exam questions on that topic.
History and Sources of American Law/Constitutional Law
American Legal Systems and Procedures
- Meanings of terms
- Formation of contracts
- Joint obligations
- Contracts for the benefit of third parties
- Statute of frauds
- Scopes and meanings of contracts
- Breach of contract and remedies
- Bar to remedies for breach of contract
- Discharge of contracts
- Illegal contracts
- Social responsibility of corporations
- Government regulation/administrative agencies
- Antitrust law
- Employment law
- Product liability
- Consumer protection
- International business law
- Agency, partnerships, and corporations
Purchase and Prepare
Want to get a feel for the tests? Try out sample questions from actual CLEP exams in the subject of your choice.
Get $10 Off
Find out how many credits you can earn.
Try our new CLEP Challenge QuizUp trivia game - and discover questions inspired by CLEP exams