Exam Day Information
All test centers follow the same procedures and rules, which you should become familiar with before test day. If you plan to take an at-home CLEP exam, find out what to expect on exam day at home.
Once you have registered for a CLEP exam, you can use the My Account portal to:
- Select your preferred test center, and choose the institution where you would like to send your scores.
- Purchase study materials.
- Print your registration ticket. Make sure your name on your ID matches exactly with your registration ticket.
- View your scores, and order official transcripts.
Don't Forget to Schedule Your Test Appointment
Registering for an exam provides you with a payment receipt and a registration ticket, but you must contact a test center to schedule the date and time you wish to take the test.
If you’re testing at home, you’ll need to create an account and schedule your at-home exam appointment with Proctortrack, CLEP’s remote proctoring partner. Learn more about at-home CLEP exams.
In addition to the nonrefundable $89 exam fee, most test centers charge a nonrefundable administration fee, which is directly payable to the institution. Check with your test center to confirm the fee amount and an acceptable method of payment.
For at-home CLEP exams, you’ll be charged a $30 remote proctoring fee in addition to your exam fee.
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
If you have a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking a CLEP exam under standard conditions, you may request accommodations directly from the test center where you're planning to test. Contact the test center well in advance of the test date to make the necessary arrangements and to find out its deadline for submission of documentation for approval of accommodations. Accommodations that can be arranged directly with test centers include:
- Screen magnification
- Modifiable screen colors
- Use of a reader, an amanuensis, or a sign language interpreter
- Extended time
- Untimed rest breaks
Accommodations for at-home CLEP exams must be approved by College Board. If you haven’t received College Board approval for accommodations, you won’t be able to add accommodations to your at-home CLEP exam registration. Learn more about accommodations for at-home CLEP exams.
On Exam Day
Visit the at-home CLEP exams pages for what to expect on exam day at home.
Be prepared to bring the following to the test center:
- A valid registration ticket from the My Account registration portal.
- Registration forms or printouts that are required by the test center. Make sure you have filled out all necessary paperwork in advance of your testing date.
- Administration fees: Bring the administration fee to the test center. Each test center charges an additional fee and sets its own policy for payment.
- Identification: Your driver’s license, passport, or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on your ID must match the name on your registration ticket. The ID you bring must meet the following criteria:
- Be government-issued.
- Be an original document—photocopied documents are not acceptable.
- Be valid and current—expired documents (bearing expiration dates that have passed) are not acceptable, no matter how recently they may have expired.
- Bear the test taker's full name, in English language characters, exactly as it appears on the registration ticket, including the order of the names.
- Middle initials are optional and only need to match the first letter of the middle name when present on both the ticket and the identification.
- Bear a recent recognizable photograph that clearly matches the test taker.
- Include the test taker's signature.
- Be in good condition with clearly legible text and a clearly visible photograph.
- Military test takers must bring their military ID.
- Homeschooled students and high school students: If you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form (.pdf/55 KB) which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate identification, you will not be tested.
- Examples of other types of acceptable identification include:
- Government-issued passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID with name, photograph, and electronic signature
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- Tribal ID card with name, photograph, and signature
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship with name, photograph, and signature
- A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with name, photograph, and signature
CLEP Retest Policy
Test takers may not repeat an exam of the same title within three months of the initial testing date. If you retake the exam within the three-month period, your administration will be considered invalid, your score will be canceled, and any test fees will be forfeited.
If you’re repeating an exam of the same title and have a question regarding the date of the initial administration, you should immediately notify the test administrator and contact CLEP Services at 800-257-9558.
Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)-funded military test takers are eligible for only one U.S. government-funded attempt per exam title. Any retest attempts for the same exam must be funded directly by the test taker.