Learn more about the CLEP remote-proctoring testing process, including the materials you'll need and how to prepare the room where you'll test.
Before Exam Day
To take a remote-proctored CLEP exam, you must first register and pay for your CLEP exam and remote proctoring fee in My Account. Follow the directions on how to register for a CLEP exam with remote proctoring to complete this part of the process. Next, create a Proctortrack account and then schedule your appointment.* Within 24 hours of registering for your exam, you'll receive an email from CLEP with a Ticket ID and a link to the Proctortrack site. Then, follow the steps below.
Create a Proctortrack Profile
- Provide consent for ID verification and proctoring services.
- Set up your profile by submitting a face and ID scan. ID scan is not required for DANTES test takers.
- Approval can take up to 24 hours to complete.
- Once your profile is approved, you’ll receive an email and can then visit your Proctortrack account dashboard and schedule your exam.
Schedule Your Exam
- Click the Schedule button.
- Select the preferred date and time from the available timeslots.
- You'll receive instant confirmation of your scheduled appointment time.
- Reschedule or cancel your appointment up to one hour before the scheduled time.
Download Test Application
- If you haven't done so already, download and install the ETS Online Test application on the computer you'll use for the test. To install the application, navigate to the Downloads folder. Locate the installer (UnifyRPInstaller_PROD.exe), right click on the file, and select Run as Administrator. You'll need this on test day so that the proctor can log you in to the Unify Test Launcher to start your exam.
On Exam Day
- You'll communicate with your proctor via the chat function only. After you review exam guidelines, a chat box will appear on your screen. Use the chat icon to communicate with your proctor. They'll provide further instructions on what to do next.
- You must disable any screen-sharing or remote-access software (such as Zoom, Skype™, TeamViewer™ and Microsoft Teams™) prior to the test. It must remain disabled throughout the test. Make sure that the software will not open automatically during the test.
- The computer clock must be set to the time that matches with the time zone where you are located.
- Read through the guidelines provided on screen. Provide consent.
- Download and run the Proctortrack desktop app.
- Click on Connect to Proctortrack to begin the verification steps.
- Verify identity with the face scan and ID scan.
- Review exam guidelines.
- Use the chat box to receive further instructions from the proctor.
- Complete the room scan. Wait for the proctor to verify and approve the room scan.
- If you've already downloaded the ETS Online Test application, open it. Otherwise, click on the Download Unify button to download and launch the application.
- The proctor will then log you in to the Unify Test Launcher. You'll need to place your cursor in the Exam ID and password fields so they can enter the information.
- Use the default Custom Attributes shown on the screen.
- Agree to policies and read procedures for taking the test.
- Take your test.
- After the last test question, you’ll be asked to take an exit evaluation and confirm your score should be reported.
- Your scores will be displayed on the screen immediately after the exam, except for College Composition and Spanish with Writing. Scores for these exams will be available after the essays are scored through My Account 2–3 weeks after exam day. Scores for other CLEP exams will be available in My Account one business day after testing.
- Once the Thank You screen appears, click the Continue button to complete the exam administration. An End of Session screen will be displayed.
- Notify your proctor once you've completed your test. Your proctor will provide instructions on how to end your test session.
- You'll be asked to erase all notes in view of the proctor at the end of the test.
- Click the End Proctoring button to end your test session.
After Your Exam
Most post-exam procedures for the CLEP exams with remote proctoring are the same as for tests taken at a test center.
- Scores are displayed on your screen immediately after completing an exam, except for College Composition and Spanish with Writing. College Composition and Spanish Writing scores are available online via My Account 2–3 weeks after exam day. Scores for other CLEP exams can be viewed on My Account within one business day after testing.
- Delivery of CLEP exam scores can take 10–14 business days. In addition, an institution receiving your transcript may take additional time to process your scores once it receives them.
You can register for another remote-proctored CLEP exam following the same procedures on this website.
Test takers may not repeat an exam of the same title, regardless of whether it was taken at a CLEP test center or remotely, within three months of the initial testing date. If you retake the exam within the three-month period, your administration will be considered invalid, your score will be canceled, and any test fees will be forfeited.
DANTES-funded military test takers are eligible for only one U.S. government-funded attempt per exam title. Any retest attempts for the same exam must be funded directly by the test taker.
If you're repeating an exam of the same title and have a question regarding the date of the initial administration, contact CLEP Services.