CLEP at Orientation
Why Include CLEP in Your New Student Orientation
CLEP offers your students an academic head start. By earning credit through any of 33 examinations during orientation, capable students can satisfy their introductory requirements and move into upper-level course work sooner.
Offering CLEP testing during orientation also benefits your institution in the following ways.
CLEP Seals the Deal for Incoming Students
According to a College Board survey of CLEP candidates, 62 percent of students not currently enrolled say that the CLEP policies of the institutions they were considering would affect their decision to enroll.
CLEP Increases Access for Other Entering Students
CLEP maximizes enrollment by allowing students to advance to more challenging courses, opening availability in introductory courses. CLEP encourages greater student persistence toward a degree.
CLEP Helps Students Move Ahead Right from the Start
A recent study conducted by the Council of Adult and Experiential learning indicates that: PLA students earning bachelor’s degrees saved between 2.5 and 10.1 months of time in earning their degrees, compared to non-PLA students earning degrees. PLA students who earned associate degrees saved an average of 1.5 to 4.5 months to degree completion.
How to Promote CLEP to Incoming Students
- Encourage recruiters to share information about your CLEP policy while visiting high schools or hosting on-campus open houses.
- Include a copy of your institution's CLEP policy in the admission and orientation mailings to admitted applicants.
- Make sure academic departments, academic support services, and financial aid are aware of CLEP's benefits, so that they can advise incoming students. Schedule meetings or presentations with staff and/or distribute handouts.
- Include CLEP information in your orientation packets. Order the free Take One brochure, the Information for Candidates bulletin and other free CLEP publications.
- Create your own CLEP policy flyer.
- Order a free CLEP Tabling Kit and sponsor an exhibit at your orientation fair.
- If you have a test center, set up special testing times for students during orientation week.
- Feature your test center on campus tours and on your orientation website.
- If you don't have a CLEP test center on campus, use the test center search to determine the location of the center that is closest to your campus.
Access forms and documents used by test-center administrators, faculty, registrars and others responsible for CLEP.
70% of CLEP test-takers said their CLEP credits made a difference in their ability to finance tuition and other fees.
91% of CLEP test-takers said CLEP made a difference in helping them complete their degrees.
92% of institutions offer PLA credits to provide a time-saving avenue for degree completion.
More than 50% of PLA students earned a degree in seven years, compared to 21% of non-PLA students.
Students who receive credit-by-examination through CLEP for an introductory course are much more likely to earn an A or B in subsequent courses than students who complete the introductory course.
Order Free Materials
Keep your students and staff informed about CLEP with an array of free brochures, bulletins, posters and more.
Subscribe to CLEP's quarterly e-mail newsletter for program news and tips.
View Current Issue