Exam Day Info
Read Information for Candidates (PDF 1.5MB) to find out more about the CLEP program, exam preparation materials and the actual exam day.
Before Exam Day
Find out the following information ahead of time:
- Exam timing and subsections: Read the exam description to learn how much time is allowed for the test and whether there are timed subsections.
- Optional essay: The American Literature, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, College Composition Modular and English Literature exams have optional essays that may be required by some colleges and universities. These essays are scored by faculty at the colleges and universities that require them. If you are taking any of the above exams and have questions about whether you need to take the optional essay, you must contact the institution that will receive your scores. If you do not select an institution to receive your optional essay on exam day, CLEP will retain your essay for 18 months.
- How your score is computed: Read What Your CLEP Score Means (.pdf/573KB) to learn how your test score will be determined.
- Location of the exam room: Call the test center to get specific directions to the building and room in which your exam is administered.
- Time of the test administration: Call the test center to confirm the time of the exam.
On Exam Day
Bring these items to the test center. Read the Information for Candidates (PDF 1.5MB) bulletin for detailed information.
- ID: You must show two forms of personal identification to be admitted to the testing room: primary and secondary.
Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested.
- Completed registration form: Each test center sets its own requirements for registration. Bring the form required by your test center. We provide a CLEP registration form for test center use.
- Exam and administration fees: The CLEP exam fee is $80. Each test center charges an additional administration fee and sets its own policy for payment.
Want to get a feel for the tests? Try out sample questions from actual CLEP exams in the subject of your choice.
Find out if your institution accepts CLEP.