Exam Day Info
Read Information for Test-Takers (PDF 1.5MB) to find out more about the CLEP program, exam preparation materials and the actual exam day.
Before Exam Day
Step 1: Create an Account Through the My Account Registration Portal to:
- Register for a CLEP exam 24/7
- Manage your personal accounts at any time prior to taking the exam
- Search for test centers and select your score recipient institution
- Purchase study materials
- Print registration ticket
Step 2: Become Familiar with the Exams
- Exam timing and subsections: Read the exam description to learn how much time is allowed for the test and whether there are timed subsections.
- Optional essay: The American Literature, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, College Composition Modular and English Literature exams have optional essays that may be required by some colleges and universities. These essays are scored by faculty at the colleges and universities that require them. If you are taking any of the above exams and have questions about whether you need to take the optional essay, you must contact the institution that will receive your scores. If you do not select an institution to receive your optional essay on exam day, CLEP will retain your essay for 18 months.
- How your score is computed: Read What Your CLEP Score Means (.pdf/573KB) to learn how your test score will be determined.
- Graphic and Scientific Calculators: Graphing calculators are used in the Calculus and Precalculus examinations. Scientific (nongraphing) calculators are used in the Chemistry, College Algebra, and College Mathematics examinations. You are expected to know how and when to make appropriate use of the calculator. Get more information about the graphing calculator and download a trial version.
Step 3: Schedule Your Appointment to Take the Test
After you register for an exam through My Account, it is important that you contact the preferred test center to schedule your appointment to test. Registering for an exam provides you with a payment receipt and a Ticket ID, but you must contact a test center to schedule the date and time you wish to take the test.
In addition to the non-refundable $80 exam fee, most test centers charge a nonrefundable administration fee, directly payable to the institution. Check with your test center and confirm the amount required and acceptable method of payment.
On Exam Day
Be prepared to bring the following at the test center:
- A valid registration ticket from My Account registration portal
- Registration forms or printouts that are required by the test center. Make sure you have filled out all necessary paperwork in advance of your testing date.
- Your driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature, as well as a secondary form of ID that includes a photo and/or your signature, such as a student ID. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on your primary ID must match the name on your registration ticket.
- Military test-takers, bring your military ID and Social Security card.
- Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested.
- Administration fees: Bring administration fee to the test center. Each test center charges an additional fee and sets its own policy for payment.
Want to get a feel for the tests? Try out sample questions from actual CLEP exams in the subject of your choice.
Find out how many credits you can earn.