Test Center Requirements
Guidelines for CLEP Test Centers
CLEP welcomes test centers that can meet the following requirements:
- Accredited by a recognized educational agency or association.
- Located in a geographic area that is currently underserved by other CLEP testing centers.
- Willing to serve as an "open" test center so that students from outside your institution, including military service personnel, can have access to CLEP.
- Able to administer a minimum of 50 CLEP exams per year.
- Has a designated room for testing that can be secured.
- Able to supply the required equipment, space, and staff for delivering CLEP exams. No minimum number of testing workstations is required.
- Meet the iBT Test Delivery Requirements (.pdf/119KB) for installing the necessary CLEP software and administering CLEP exams.
- Has a designated professional to maintain test security during CLEP exam administration.
- Provide dedicated proctoring.
- Able to start testing within 45 days of setting up the CLEP iBT testing environment.
Staff Qualification Requirements
One of the first steps in organizing a CLEP test center is the selection of a Primary Test Center Administrator (TCA) to manage and administer the overall testing program, although not necessarily to act as on-site supervisor. Much of the success of any institution's CLEP testing program is due to the efforts of the Primary TCA. The CLEP Primary TCA functions as a vital link between the testing program and the faculty, administrators, and students. He or she must hold a bachelor's degree and may not be involved as an instructor or student in any courses, workshops, or tutoring activities that involve test questions similar in content to those in the CLEP exams. He or she should also have familiarity with administering standardized exams.
Access forms and documents used by test-center administrators, faculty, registrars and others responsible for CLEP.
70% of CLEP test-takers said their CLEP credits made a difference in their ability to finance tuition and other fees.
91% of CLEP test-takers said CLEP made a difference in helping them complete their degrees.
92% of institutions offer PLA credits to provide a time-saving avenue for degree completion.
More than 50% of PLA students earned a degree in seven years, compared to 21% of non-PLA students.
Students who receive credit-by-examination through CLEP for an introductory course are much more likely to earn an A or B in subsequent courses than students who complete the introductory course.
Order Free Materials
Keep your students and staff informed about CLEP with an array of free brochures, bulletins, posters and more.