Advance Planning for Summer Orientation
As you begin the planning process for summer orientation, consider giving students an academic advantage by including CLEP information in your offerings.
- Reward capable incoming students. By granting credit for CLEP exams, you can offer accomplished potential students an opportunity to advance in their academic track at a much faster rate.
- Increase access for other entering students. CLEP can open up seats in lower-division courses for students who need that course work.
- Help students move ahead on the road to graduation. A recent study (.pdf/2.98MB) by The Council for Adult & Experiential Learning shows that students who took advantage of prior learning assessment (PLA) programs like CLEP earned more institutional credits and graduated at higher rates than non-PLA students.
Requires Adobe Reader; latest version recommended.
- Encourage enrollment managers to share information about your CLEP policy while visiting high schools. Suggest having open houses on campus.
- Include a copy of your institution's CLEP policy in the orientation/admission mailing to admitted applicants.
- Make sure academic departments, academic support services and financial aid offices are aware of CLEP's benefits so they can advise incoming students. Encourage them to schedule meetings or conduct presentations with staff and/or distribute materials.
- Include CLEP information in your orientation packets. Order the CLEP Take One brochure and other free CLEP publications.
- Download a free Microsoft Word template (.doc/148KB) and create your own CLEP policy flyer.
- Order a free CLEP tabling kit and sponsor an exhibit at your orientation fair.
- If you have a test center, set up special testing times for students during orientation week. Include your test center on campus tours and have it featured on your orientation website.
- If you do not have a CLEP test center on campus, use the test center search to find the location of the closest center. Include this information in new-student orientation packets.
Access forms and documents used by test-center administrators, faculty, registrars and others responsible for CLEP.
70% of CLEP test-takers said their CLEP credits made a difference in their ability to finance tuition and other fees.
91% of CLEP test-takers said CLEP made a difference in helping them complete their degrees.
92% of institutions offer PLA credits to provide a time-saving avenue for degree completion.
More than 50% of PLA students earned a degree in seven years, compared to 21% of non-PLA students.
Students who receive credit-by-examination through CLEP for an introductory course are much more likely to earn an A or B in subsequent courses than students who complete the introductory course.
Order Free Materials
Keep your students and staff informed about CLEP with an array of free brochures, bulletins, posters and more.
Subscribe to CLEP's quarterly e-mail newsletter for program news and tips.
View Current Issue