Zoom Text Software
Install software that allows test-takers to magnify CLEP exam screens
To assist visually impaired test-takers, CLEP offers a free downloadable visual aid called ZoomText Magnifier®. This free software is an advanced screen magnification program that enlarges and enhances everything on a computer screen. The world's leading low-vision solution, ZoomText, can be installed on workstations where visually impaired candidates will be testing. The implementation of this feature complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Candidates whose registrations specify magnification on the ADA Options screen will have the ability to adjust the magnification level and type "at will" during a CLEP test. ZoomText provides three magnification levels: none, 2x, and 3x. ("None" switches the screen back to normal in case the candidate requires magnification on only a portion of the exam.) Candidates can switch zoom types and levels at any time, to obtain an optimal view.
Three magnification types are available:
- Full-screen: Displays a magnified view that occupies the entire screen
- Overlay: Displays a magnified view that occupies a portion of the screen
- Lens: Moves over the "normal" screen like a magnifying glass, displaying what is directly beneath it; the lens automatically follows the mouse pointer, text typing, and navigation through the test
Downloading and installing ZoomText
Before downloading and installing ZoomText software and testing visually impaired candidates, you must contact CLEP Technical Support at (800) 241-5357. ZoomText software must be installed on all testing workstations used for testing students with disabilities. You are not required to install this software on the TDMS server unless it is also used as a testing workstation.
- Operating system: Windows Vista, Windows XP or Windows 2000 only
- Processor: Pentium III or higher
- Minimum 256 MB of RAM
- 25 MB of free hard disk space
- All other specifications as required by TDMS client installation
- Download Zt9-18setup.zip (.zip/27.16MB; PC only; you will need a compression utility such as WinZip) to the desktop of your TDMS client.
- From Zt9-18setup.zip, extract etsztext.exe to the default folder (Zt9-18setup) on your desktop using a program like WinZip. Note: Once etsztext.exe is extracted, it can be used to install ZoomText software on other workstations by copying it to the TDMS shared folder on your network.
- Disable any virus-protection software and close all other currently running Windows programs.
- Open the Zt9-18setup folder and double-click the etsztext.exe application to launch the setup program.
- The following message will be displayed: "The installation will reboot your pc when done. Continue?" Click Yes to continue with the installation.
- The setup program will start extracting files, and will automatically reboot your computer after the installation is complete. Please do not reboot your computer manually unless prompted to do so. Note: A program shortcut will not be added to your Windows Start>Programs or All Programs groups. ZoomText is a plug-in software.
Open the Windows Control Panel and go to Add or Remove Programs. Look for ZoomText 9.18 in the list. Highlight it and click Remove.
Access forms and documents used by test-center administrators, faculty, registrars and others responsible for CLEP.
70% of CLEP test-takers said their CLEP credits made a difference in their ability to finance tuition and other fees.
91% of CLEP test-takers said CLEP made a difference in helping them complete their degrees.
92% of institutions offer PLA credits to provide a time-saving avenue for degree completion.
More than 50% of PLA students earned a degree in seven years, compared to 21% of non-PLA students.
Students who receive credit-by-examination through CLEP for an introductory course are much more likely to earn an A or B in subsequent courses than students who complete the introductory course.
Order Free Materials
Keep your students and staff informed about CLEP with an array of free brochures, bulletins, posters and more.