Official CLEP Study Materials
The CLEP Official Study Guide is the only official CLEP guide created by the test developers. It offers you:
- Official practice questions for all 33 CLEP exams, published by the College Board
- Helpful guides to earning college credit, evaluating a college's CLEP policy, and applying for credit
- Valuable suggestions for preparation, including methods of self-assessment and strategies for answering exam questions
If you're taking just one or two CLEP exams, you'll save money by purchasing a CLEP Exam Guide for a specific subject, available as a downloadable PDF, instead of the comprehensive study guide.
Textbooks and Other Resources
A good place to start is the list of textbooks and other materials used in comparable college courses. Check with your college bookstore to find out which books and materials are used for the related course.
Check out the resources below, compiled by the CLEP test development committee and staff members. (But be aware that these sources aren’t designed specifically to provide preparation for a CLEP exam. And we, of course, have no control over their content and cannot vouch for their accuracy.
- Online Education Database Library
This library links to open courseware, broadcast learning, educational video, archives, lecture webcasts and podcasts from a range of colleges, and scholarly journals.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MIT offers 1,800 free lecture notes, exams, and videos in a variety of subjects, along with supplemental resources.
- University of California, Berkeley
The University of California, Berkeley, presents free podcasts and webcasts of its current and archived courses.
- Open Learning Initiative
Carnegie Mellon University provides free online courses and course material in modern biology, French, economics, chemistry, and other subjects.
The Annenberg Foundation's website for teacher professional development offers streaming video and course materials in a variety of subjects.
This site contains multimedia lessons and course materials.
CLEP Study Materials: A Word of Warning
Many private companies offer preparation service for CLEP exams. Some are legitimate, but others make promises they cannot keep and sell services and products that you don't need. You should investigate test preparation companies thoroughly before making a purchase.
We have received complaints from students regarding the following practices, which we consider to be unfair or inappropriate:
- Attempts to sell preparation services for many CLEP exams at once, with sizable payment up front or on credit
- Credit agreements with a company other than the one selling the preparation materials
- Contacts from salespeople to you or your families at home
- Promises that you can receive college credit without enrolling in college
- Efforts to sell you dictionaries or encyclopedias as part of the test preparation package
Want to get a feel for the tests? Try out sample questions from actual CLEP exams in the subject of your choice.
Find out if your institution accepts CLEP.